Faulty cables increase house fire risk for thousands of home owners
Faulty Infinity electrical cables installed in homes across Australia are leaving people at risk of electrocution or house fires, according to the ACCC.
These dangerous cables have the potential to become prematurely brittle and break when placed under stress near heat sources and roof access areas.
This could easily lead to fires if these cables are disturbed by home owners or tradespeople.
Infinity cable installed in NSW homes in 2010 could have already started cracking, with remaining states and territories (where it was installed from 2011) in danger from next year. The national recall began in August 2013.
“Four years into the recall, only 54% of the 4313 km of dangerous cable subject to a voluntary recall has been found and fixed,” said ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard.
“Your home might be a ticking time-bomb if you haven’t had Infinity cabling replaced.”
Vic transport company fined after worker suffers electric shock
A transport company has been fined $75,000 after a worker suffered an electric shock when a...
Safety alert after switchboards cause electric shocks
The Electrical Safety Office of Queensland has issued a safety alert for electricity meter...
Two NSW companies fined $1.05m over fatal electrocution
Two companies have been fined $600,000 and $450,000 after a young worker was fatally electrocuted...