Victoria suffers three worker deaths in "horror" week


Friday, 06 December, 2019

Victoria suffers three worker deaths in "horror" week

Three people have died in separate workplace incidents across Victoria in what the state’s safety regulator is calling a “horror” six-day period at the end of November.

A 69-year-old man died after being thrown out of his rolling four-wheel-drive utility vehicle while working as a bulldozer spotter, cutting fire breaks for the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning at Gelantipy. It is believed he lost control of the vehicle while driving down a steep embankment, according to WorkSafe Victoria.

A second man died in hospital after suffering an electric shock and falling at a St Leonards property. It is believed the 37-year-old was standing on the top deck of scaffolding at a home being renovated when he came in contact with overhead powerlines, WorkSafe Victoria said.

A 73-year-old Mulgrave man has also died in hospital after he was crushed between a car door and an automatic car wash machine. WorkSafe Victoria believes he was attempting to get back into his vehicle after re-entering the car wash access code when the wash cycle started and he was pinned by the car door.

WorkSafe Victoria is investigating all three incidents. The fatalities bring the state’s workplace death toll this year to 23, the same number as this time last year, WorkSafe Victoria said.

Image credit: ©stock.adobe.com/au/sudok1

Related News

Inaugural Australian Manufacturing Week to be held in Sydney

Australian Manufacturing Week is gearing up to showcase the latest manufacturing technologies,...

ACCC concerned over pricing of rapid antigen tests

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has expressed significant concerns about the...

WA enacts new program to address sexual harassment in mining

Western Australia has introduced a new safety program to address the issue of workplace sexual...


  • All content Copyright © 2022 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd