Updates from the Workplace Relations Ministers' Council
The Workplace Relations Ministers' Council (WRMC) met in Sydney recently to discuss the progress of the Australian government's workplace relations reform agenda.
The ministers discussed developments in:
- the Workplace Relations Bill — currently still in the draft stages awaiting final views from the High Level Official's Group;
- the OHS harmonisation progress — a progress report from the chair of the National OHS Review Panel is due in October;
- the Comcare self-insurance workers compensation scheme — the government is considering a number of recommendations to strengthen and improve the scheme; however, no announcements are made at this point;
- the replacement body for the Australian Safety and Compensation Council (ASCC) — the legislation for the change in bodies is scheduled for introduction in the Spring 2008 sitting of Parliament;
- the Textile, Clothing and Footwear Industry Award — ministers are considering procedures to modernise the award to provide adequate protection for outworkers; and
- the 457 Visa Scheme Inquiry — the Inquiry is reaching its final stages, with the release of the final review report due this October.
The ministers also discussed the progress of the Australian Industrial Relations Commission's Award modernisation process and welcomed the input from the stakeholder consultation period.
The Workplace Health & Safety Show Sydney has announced the line-up of speakers for its...
WorkSafe has released updated guidance to help employers better communicate health and safety...
The Queensland Mining & Energy Union has said that a safety review of labour hire company...