NT updates workplace safety framework
Northern Territory businesses now need to consider whether they comply with two new legislations due to commence this year: the Workplace Health and Safety Act and the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act.
OHS and Workers’ compensation and rehabilitation functions, which previously existed together under the former Work Health Act, are now separated into these two Acts.
The legislation maintains the Work Health Authority, with NT WorkSafe as the administrative arm of the authority.
The government also announced major new investment in NT WorkSafe, including:
- the appointment of an executive director reporting directly to the Minister;
- more officers with special industry knowledge, including mining and exploration, dangerous goods, construction, plant operation, licensing and electrical safety;
- extra personnel to facilitate the new Health and Safety Representative (HSR) initiative;
- improved advisory and support services particularly for small business; and
- upgrade of information and response systems and technologies.
For more information on the Acts, visit the NTWorkSafe website.
A Victorian freight company has been fined following the death of a garbage truck driver in...
A Victorian concrete manufacturer has been fined after two workers were nearly injured when a...
Two companies have been fined after a worker's arm became caught in a machine at a brick...