Machine guarding warning from SafeWork SA
SafeWork SA has issued a reminder to employers of the dangers to staff in neglecting necessary checks for safety guarding on their plant and machinery.
The reminder is in response to a fine issued last week to a food manufacturer over an incident in which a female worker lost the tip of her finger while cleaning a machine.
The court was told that while cleaning splashes of ice-cream from a small moving conveyor belt, the woman's right index finger was trapped and crushed by an unguarded part of the machine.
In its investigation, SafeWork SA found that a removable guard for the machine was stored in a shed and had never been used, nor was the worker told the guard even existed.
The charge noted:
- A failure to maintain the machine in a safe condition
- A failure to provide instruction pertaining to a guard for the machine
- A failure to provide instruction on how to install it
- A failure to provide instruction on how to check it was properly in place
"The machine guard was there on the premises to be used, but it was ignored and a worker suffered a distressing disfigurement as a result," WorkSafe SA executive director, Michele Paterson said.
"Those involved must ask themselves now whether it might have been worth taking the time for a simple hazard identification and risk assessment in the first place."
A sheet metal fabrication company has been fined $40,000 after a workplace incident that led to a...
A cattle company in Central Australia has pleaded guilty and been fined $30,000 after a freak...
Diamond Valley Pork has been fined $130,000 for a 2019 incident in which a worker's hand was...