457 visa exploitation allegations up 900%

Monday, 19 February, 2007

The safety of workers employed under 457 visas has again come under scrutiny after a 900% increase in allegations of exploitation of such workers.

Industrial Relations Minister, John Della Bosca said immigration officials admitted at last week's Senate Estimates hearings that the number of exploitation allegations had risen from 33 in 2005 to 300 in 2006.

Della Bosca said the Iemma Government will present a submission today to a Commonwealth inquiry into the visa system demanding a range of tougher sanctions, such as financial penalties for employers who abuse the scheme.

Related News

Vic freight company fined $35,000 after truck fatality

A Victorian freight company has been fined following the death of a garbage truck driver in...

Concrete manufacturer fined $35,000 over crane incident

A Victorian concrete manufacturer has been fined after two workers were nearly injured when a...

Vic companies fined $50,000 after worker injures arm

Two companies have been fined after a worker's arm became caught in a machine at a brick...


  • All content Copyright © 2022 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd