SafeWork SA cracks down on asbestos licence holder compliance


Thursday, 17 September, 2020


SafeWork SA cracks down on asbestos licence holder compliance

Following another asbestos licence holder suspension, SafeWork SA has commenced a proactive compliance campaign to be conducted over the coming months, to ensure that asbestos removal regulations are followed. On 5 September 2020, SafeWork SA suspended a class B asbestos removal licence holder due to a history of non-compliance. Most recently, they failed to remove all asbestos from a residential premise and did not decontaminate the area where asbestos had been removed.

The business failed to comply with section 19 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (SA), ie, to take reasonable care of their workers’ health and safety and to ensure that they did not adversely affect the health and safety of others. Martyn Campbell, Executive Director of SafeWork SA, said this was the fifth suspension of an asbestos licence holder in less than a year. Campbell also said inspectors will focus on ensuring that asbestos is identified and removed prior to commencing refurbishment or demolition.

“I have asked our inspectors to monitor a cross-section of the construction industry to ensure that all asbestos licence holders are fulfilling their responsibilities in complying with asbestos regulations,” said Campbell. Building owners engaging a contractor to undertake refurbishment or demolition work must ensure the register is reviewed and, if necessary, revised, to ensure all asbestos is identified and removed.

“Licence holders that continually fail to meet their obligations will be sent a clear message that SafeWork SA will take enforcement action against poor performance in regards to unsafe asbestos removal practices,” said Campbell. SafeWork SA has urged all duty holders involved with the removal of asbestos to comply with asbestos regulations.

Image credit: ©stock.adobe.com/au/Bernard MAURIN

Related News

Further charges laid for alleged chemical stockpiles

Bradbury Industrial Services is facing five additional charges for breaching the Dangerous Goods...

SafeWork SA suspends licence for asbestos assessor

SafeWork SA has suspended the licence for an asbestos assessor, after an investigation found that...

Silo collapse triggers safety warning

WorkCover Queensland has issued a warning about the risks of working with transportable silos,...


  • All content Copyright © 2020 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd