WA jobseekers misled by construction training courses

Wednesday, 27 May, 2020

WA jobseekers misled by construction training courses

Consumer Protection and WorkSafe in WA are investigating a training provider that is offering an ‘introductory’ course for a reduced fee of about one-third of the usual cost of the full course, misleading jobseekers looking to work in the WA construction industry. It is a requirement for people working on a construction site in Australia to have a ‘white card’, which indicates that they have undertaken and passed a safety induction course by a registered training provider.

Participants are given a ‘certificate of attendance’ instead of a ‘certificate of achievement’, and believe they are qualified to go on site. Holders of these certificates are turning up at construction sites and being turned away.

“There is some fine print at the bottom of the company’s website which states that the holders of these introductory certificates will need to complete an accredited unit of competency in order to obtain the physical white card before qualifying to go onto a construction site. But the general impression projected by their website is that jobseekers will get a cheap course that will qualify them to take up a position on a construction site,” said Lanie Chopping, Commissioner for Consumer Protection.

“We are carrying out an investigation into this company but warn people that they must complete the full induction course with a registered training provider, otherwise their white card qualification is not valid and they are wasting their money,” Chopping said.

WorkSafe WA Commissioner Darren Kavanaugh urges construction site supervisors to check white cards carefully, and report any cards being presented that may be issued by an unregistered provider.

“Maintaining a high standard of safety is crucial for the construction industry and it’s a major concern that people who have not passed the full induction course may end up working on site,” Kavanaugh said.

The company also offers a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) course for people wanting to work in the tourism and hospitality industries. These RSA certificates are not valid as they are issued by a non-registered training provider.

A search for registered training providers can be carried out on the federal government’s MySkills website. Unregistered businesses offering training courses and certificates can be reported to the Australian Skills Quality Authority. WA consumers who believe they have been misled by a training provider can contact Consumer Protection by email or call 1300 30 40 54.

Image credit: ©stock.adobe.com/au/photobyphotoboy

Related News

Nominations open for 2021 WorkSafe Awards

Nominations are open for Victoria's 2021 WorkSafe Awards, to celebrate individuals and...

Campaign gives workplace safety a common language

WorkSafe Victoria has launched a multilingual campaign to inform non-English speakers about key...

Vic urges workplace safety prioritisation after 65 died in 2020

Victorian employers and workers have been urged to prioritise workplace health and safety, after...

  • All content Copyright © 2021 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd