UK baker fined for flour dust exposure
A UK baking company has been fined after its workers were exposed to flour dust over a long-term period.
Leeds Magistrates’ Court heard that between April 2002 and April 2016 employees were consistently exposed to risks to their health, with some being medically diagnosed as suffering from occupational asthma.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found there was no effective method of control to prevent the dust becoming airborne and employees being exposed to breathing in the dust, which is a respiratory sensitiser.
Coopland & Son (Scarborough) Ltd of Caxton Way, Pindar Business Park, Eastfield, Scarborough pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and has been fined £159,080 and ordered to pay £4,594 in costs.
“Exposure to flour dust in an industrial setting can cause serious and debilitating health effects,” said HSE inspector Geoff Fletcher.
“Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is Britain’s national regulator for workplace health and safety. It seeks to prevent work-related death, injury and ill health through regulatory actions that range from influencing behaviours across whole industry sectors through to targeted interventions on individual businesses. These activities are supported by globally recognised scientific expertise.
Queensland poultry processor Gemfire has been fined $90,000 after a worker was run over by a...
A Queensland billboard company has been fined $250,000 after a worker received an electric shock...
WorkSafe Victoria is urging construction and farm workers to take extra safety precautions as wet...