Mining rescue event winners revealed
Eighteen voluntary emergency response teams have battled it out at the 8th annual Mining Emergency Response Competition (MERC).
Teams from all over WA competed at Langley Park in Perth, and the event ended with a black-tie gala dinner and awards ceremony at Crown.
Mines and Petroleum Minister Bill Johnston said, “The event provides valuable emergency rescue skill building for volunteer mine rescue teams that help keep the WA mining and remote communities safe.”
The winners of the MERC were:
- Road crash: Newmont Boddington Gold
- HazMat: Synergy Muja Power Station
- Vertical rescue: Synergy Muja Power Station
- Firefighting: FMG Cloudbreak
- Confined space: FMG Cloudbreak
- First aid: Newmont Boddington Gold
- ERT: IGO Nova
- Best captain: Newmont Boddington Gold
- Team safety: Synergy Muja Power Station
- Overall first aid: Synergy Muja Power Station
- Overall BA: IGO Nova
- Winning overall team: Synergy Muja Power Station
- Outstanding medic: Sandra Wagner, Northern Star Jundee
Every year, the volunteer rescue teams choose a local charity close to their hearts to benefit from funds raised at MERC. To date MERC, a not-for-profit organisation, has donated over $300,000 to worthy local charities, including Royal Flying Doctor Service, Beyond Blue, Ronald McDonald House and Holyoake’s mental health app ‘My Wellbeing Mate’.
This year, the MERC community decided to donate the funds raised at this year’s event to all the nominated charities and the worthy causes they support. The following charities will benefit from the funds raised at this year’s event:
- No Limits Perth
- Royal Flying Doctor Service
- Buy a Bale
- Ronald McDonald House
- Beyond Blue
- Dwellingup Volunteer Fire Fighting Cadets
- The Old Bastards of Carnarvon
- Perth Basket Brigade
- Shooting Stars
- Meekatharra Children’s Leukaemia & Cancer Research Foundation
Multiple instances of apprentices performing electrical work without supervision have been...
A $60,000 fine has been issued to a food retailer over seven offences it committed with regards...
People who die by suicide do not necessarily express their suicidal thoughts to health...