Faulty generator sees tunnel workers evacuated


Friday, 08 February, 2019


Faulty generator sees tunnel workers evacuated

Generator problems yesterday prompted the evacuation of more than 300 workers from the WestConnex motorway tunnel.

It is the second time this week that work has been delayed on the project, with the first incident requiring more than 200 electricians to down tools after raw sewage overflowed from a portable toilet block into the tunnel.

Electrical Trade Union officials have again attended the site, where workers involved in the latest evacuation reported concerns about confusion with the evacuation procedure. The union noted that this could have dire consequences if a life-threatening incident took place.

ETU Secretary Justin Page said it was very concerning that multiple safety incidents forcing the mass evacuation of workers in the tunnel had taken place this week.

“This is a $16.8 billion infrastructure project, it’s the biggest infrastructure project in the state, yet basic health and safety systems appear to be repeatedly failing, delaying work on the project and putting workers at risk,” Page said.

“One incident might be bad luck, but when each day seems to bring another serious issue, it raises valid questions about how the NSW Government is managing this project.

“In the latest incident, more than 300 workers had to evacuate at about 9.45 am when there were issues with the generators that provide power to the tunnels.

“Earlier this week, more than 200 workers had to be removed from the tunnel after raw sewage leaked from a portable toilet block, running through a section of the tunnel.

“Following both incidents, workers have reported concerns to the union about problems with the evacuation procedures, along with a lack of effective communication from management, which they fear could have deadly consequences if the evacuation was for a life-threatening emergency.

“Not only are these incidents putting the health and safety of workers at risk, each time a major incident stops work on this major infrastructure project it further pushes back the completion date, impacting the hundreds of thousands of motorists who are waiting for it to open.

“The Berejiklian government need to get off their hands and start taking action to ensure this project can be completed safely and on time.”

Image credit: ©iStockphoto.com/anssi ruuska

Related News

Forklift-induced injury leads to $90,000 fine

Queensland poultry processor Gemfire has been fined $90,000 after a worker was run over by a...

Electric shock sparks $250,000 fine

A Queensland billboard company has been fined $250,000 after a worker received an electric shock...

Workers urged to take care during wet weather

WorkSafe Victoria is urging construction and farm workers to take extra safety precautions as wet...


  • All content Copyright © 2019 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd