Unsafe asbestos removal charges laid in NZ


Tuesday, 15 May, 2018


Unsafe asbestos removal charges laid in NZ

A New Zealand man has been sentenced on health and safety charges related to the unsafe removal of asbestos.

John Carstairs Robertson appeared in New Plymouth District Court, where a fine of $35,000 was imposed on him. Reparation of $2580.59 was ordered for site remediation and costs of $1297.50 were also ordered.

According to the WorkSafe New Zealand report, in February 2017, Robertson began work on a New Plymouth property to remove asbestos-containing material from a shed. His conduct departed significantly from current asbestos regulations and included the use of hand tools to break up asbestos-containing material, no use of masks or proper protective clothing, and no management of airborne asbestos particles.

WorkSafe New Zealand’s investigation found that Robertson had failed to manage the risk of asbestos appropriately, despite training and a prior improvement notice. WorkSafe was not notified of the class B removal work.

“No asbestos removal plan was prepared and Mr Robertson’s haphazard removal work not only put himself and a worker at risk, but the occupier and visitors to the property, and those in the neighbouring area,” said WorkSafe New Zealand Deputy General Manager, Investigations and Specialist Services Simon Humphries.

Asbestos removal is still not being managed effectively, according to WorkSafe, despite the fact that it has been almost 50 years since NZ businesses working in and around construction were first made aware of the risks of asbestos.

“Asbestos is New Zealand’s number one killer in the workplace with around 170 people dying every year from asbestos-related diseases,” said Humphries.

“Asbestos fibres can travel thousands of kilometres from a site where removal work is undertaken under certain weather conditions. Negligence is unacceptable and there is no excuse for putting the lives of others in and around your workplace at risk,” said Humphries.

John Carstairs Robertson faced three charges:

1. Regulations 34(1) and 34(5) of the Health and Safety at Work (asbestos) Regulations 2016

  • Being a licensed asbestos removalist failed to give written notice to WorkSafe at least 5 days before the removalist commences licensed asbestos removal work.

2. Section 36(2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015

  • Being a PCBU, failed to ensure, so far as was reasonably practicable, that the health and safety of other persons, was not put at risk from work carried out as part of the conduct of the business or undertaking, namely the removal of asbestos cladding.

3. Section 36(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015

  • Being a PCBU who is a self-employed person, failed to ensure, so far as was reasonably practicable, the health and safety of workers who worked for the PCBU while at work in the business of removal of asbestos cladding.

Image credit: ©stock.adobe.com/au/Luca Rani

Related News

Trench fall kills construction worker

A worker has died after he fell into a deep trench at a housing estate under construction in Wallan.

Two construction site falls spark warnings

Two falls at construction sites in Victoria within 24 hours have prompted warnings about safety.

Update on review of model WHS laws

Public submissions for the review — which is looking at whether model WHS laws are...


  • All content Copyright © 2018 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd