Asbestos removal fast-tracked for flood-damaged properties
The five-day asbestos removal work notification period has been waived by SafeWork NSW, to allow for a swift clean-up of asbestos from storm damaged properties in north-east NSW.
Assessments will be fast-tracked for property owners in the Ballina, Byron Shire, Kyogle, Lismore and Tweed local government areas.
Residents are urged to seek information on the potential risks of being exposed to asbestos, and how it can be safely managed when cleaning up after a storm or a flood.
“Flood-affected homes may contain asbestos materials which need to be safely managed and removed so that the health of the community is protected,” SafeWork NSW Executive Director Peter Dunphy said.
“As the State Emergency Service assesses the damage and residents begin to clean up or repair properties, we want them to be aware of the dangers.
“Under usual circumstances, a five-day waiting period is required before asbestos removal work can commence to enable SafeWork to review the adequacy of safety systems and site arrangements.
“Given the significance of the natural disaster and the need to urgently remove material that may affect the health of the community, we have prioritised these assessments and waived the five-day asbestos removal work notification time frame.
“We hope this decision will help people to get their lives back to normal sooner.”
SafeWork NSW recommends the following measures during the clean-up of storm-damaged properties that contain asbestos:
- Avoid disturbing asbestos materials and keep any asbestos debris wet until it can be safely removed.
- Be aware of asbestos materials in immediate surroundings. A person conducting a business or undertaking demolition of residential premises must ensure that all asbestos that this likely to be disturbed by the demolition is identified and safely removed.
- Use only qualified asbestos removalists licensed by SafeWork to ensure asbestos is safely and properly removed.
- Licensed asbestos removalists can be found at www.safework.nsw.gov.au.
- All storm-damaged asbestos-containing material that needs to be removed must be notified to SafeWork by the licensed removalist.
For more information on safely managing asbestos and the types of asbestos materials commonly found in homes, contact 1800 Asbestos (1800 272 378) or visit www.asbestosawareness.com.au.
High-pressure water blasters have been used by tradespeople to clean asbestos roofs, prompting a...
A global petition against the asbestos industry has been delivered to the president of the COP...
The drowning death of a South Port New Zealand visitor during 2015 was preventable, according to...